GRIP students will have some special evening events just for them which will be included on the schedule in their syllabus.
EVENING PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Maia’s Bookstore of Columbus, Ohio, will set up a store near the La Roche College cafeteria. The public is welcome to peruse the books at any time during GRIP week from Monday morning through Thursday evening at 7 p.m.
Take a look at all the unusual and useful genealogy, social history, children’s, maps, and other historical books of interest at www.MaiasBooks.com.
We wish to thank the sponsoring societies for making the following lectures available. Please visit their website through the links provided. Speaker biographies are available under the Faculty tab.
2016 Evening Lectures begin at 7 p.m. each evening and are held at the La Roche College campus. They are open to the public. Schedule subject to change.
Monday, June 27, 2016:
Tuesday, June 28, 2016: TBD sponsored by the North Hills Genealogists.
Thursday, June 30, 2016:
Monday, July 18, 2016:
Tuesday, July 19, 2016: Thomas W. Jones, Ph.D., CG, CGL, FASG, will present “Can a Complex Research Problem Be Solved Solely Online?” sponsored by the North Hills Genealogists.
Thursday, July 21, 2016:
CARNEGIE LIBRARY: for those who want to conduct research while in Pittsburgh, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is open evenings until 8 pm Monday through Thursday. The Pennsylvania Department and the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society share space on the third floor of the library at 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
MAP OF LA ROCHE CAMPUS:
Evening Lectures: Enter “classes” building on the map below and look for GRIP directional signs.
THE FOLLOWING WERE 2015 Evening Lectures:
- Monday, June 29, 2015: “Finding American Women’s Voices through the Centuries: Letters, Journals, Newspapers, and Court Records” presented by Jane Wilcox and sponsored by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.
- Tuesday, June 30, 2015: “How Old Did He Have to Be?” presented by Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL and sponsored by the North Hills Genealogists.
- Thursday, July 2, 2015: Rogues, Rascals & Rapscallions: The Family Black Sheep presented by Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL, sponsored by the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society.
- Monday, July 20, 2015: “Methods for Identifying the German Origins of American Immigrants” presented by Michael D. Lacopo, D.V.M., sponsored by the Mid-Atlantic Germanic Society (MAGS).
- Tuesday, July 21, 2015: “How the Castle Garden Records Burned in the Ellis Island Fire” presented by Marian L. Smith of the National Archives, and sponsored by the North Hills Genealogists.
- Thursday, July 23, 2015: “North Hills Road Show: Local History Collections – Digitized for you!” presented and sponsored by Amy Steele, Executive Director of Northland Public Library.
THE FOLLOWING WERE 2014 Evening Lectures:
- Monday, 21 July 2014: DIVORCE RECORDS IN GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH presented by Pamela Stone Eagleson, CG, Sponsored by Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society
- Tuesday, 22 July 2014: EVALUATING WEB SITES presented by Cyndi Ingle of “Cyndislist.com”, Sponsored by North Hills Genealogists
- Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 7 pm: THE MAKING OF ST. JOHN’S BIBLE presented by Sister Michele Bisbey, CDP, Ph. D., Sponsored by La Roche College
- Wednesday, 23 July 2014, about 8 pm: SPECIAL CHALLENGES OF JEWISH RESEARCH presented by Israel Pickholtz.
- Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 9 pm: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? Season Premiere. Group viewing of the show.
- Thursday, 24 July 2014: USING NARA’s FINDING AIDS AND WEBSITE presented by Pam Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL, Sponsored by Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
THE FOLLOWING WERE 2013 Evening Lectures:
Monday, July 22, 2013: WHAT IS A “REASONABLY EXHAUSTIVE” SEARCH? presented by Michael Hait, CG, Sponsored by the Great Lakes Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists
Tuesday, July 23, 2013: READ ALL ABOUT YOUR ANCESTORS BY LOCATING HISTORIC NEWSPAPERS presented by Angela Packer McGhie; Followed by the premier showing of “Who Do You Think You Are?” on cable-TV. Sponsored by North Hills Genealogists
Thursday, July 25, 2013: presentation by Michael Hait, CG, Sponsored by Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
THE FOLLOWING WERE 2012 EVENING LECTURES:
- MONDAY, July 23, 2012, 7:30 PM “Telling the Tales: Writing Your Family Narrative” presented by Pamela Stone Eagleson, CG, Sponsored by the Great Lakes Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists
- TUESDAY, July 24, 2012, 6:30 PM “Google Earth for Genealogists” presented by Pamela Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL, and Richard G. (Rick) Sayre, CG. Sponsored by the North Hills Genealogists.
- WEDNESDAY, July 25, 2012, 6:30 PM “Pennsylvania Research” presented by Richard G. (Rick) Sayre, CG, Sponsored by the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society.
- THURSDAY, July 26, 2012, 7:30 PM “Dating Your Family Photographs” by Bruce Klein of Photo Antiquities. Sponsored by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.