On this page (highly recommended to read the entirety):
- 2023 Tuition and On-campus Housing
- Registration box link for each week
- Wait List links for any courses that are full
- Steps for Registration
- Payment Instructions (NEW!)
- Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Registration Process Details (NEW!)
- Canvas bag, Polo, and T-shirt details, sizes, and photos
2023 TUITION: Tuition is $550 with a discount of $20 for check or money order. The cost includes a one-week course, daytime and optional evening sessions, PDF syllabus material delivered electronically (a black and white printed notebook may be purchased postage paid for all courses but only for U.S. addresses), When GRIP is on-campus, also included are: Sunday evening dinner in the cafeteria prior to the welcome program, social activities, snacks, and a small gift.
NOTE: To encourage interactive participation, these Zoom course sessions will NOT be recorded. Institute weeks are LIVE events only during the scheduled hours. Please plan accordingly.
ON-CAMPUS HOUSING: (When GRIP is held in-person July 9-14.) Housing accommodations at La Roche University are in air-conditioned private, shared double, or triple rooms, each with its own bath. The housing package comes with meals in the cafeteria. It is not mandatory to stay on-campus but it is certainly very convenient! Please see the Location menu tab for more information and photos. You may choose your housing option or just commuter meals (5 lunches) when you register for your course.
Housing prices include 5 nights (check-in on Sunday, 3 pm onward; sorry, no early check-ins or late check-outs) and 15 meals (5 each of breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in the cafeteria:
Private Room: $515 (including 15 meals)
Shared Room (2 or 3 in a room): $395 each person (including 15 meals for each person)
COMMUTER MEALS packages are available to order at registration. If commuting from off-campus accommodations, you can pre-order five lunch tickets for the cafeteria for $69. Select when registering.
COVID-19 POLICY for in-person: GRIP will follow the La Roche University Covid-19 Policies which currently includes no requirement for vaccinations. They ask that if you are not feeling well to please stay home. However If you were in isolation for 5 full days after being infected, you can be on campus while wearing a mask for 5 additional days but not eat or drink in public during this time. In addition, some GRIP instructors may request (not require) everyone to wear masks while they teach their 75-minute session.
NEED REGISTRATION HELP? See ILLUSTRATED INSTRUCTIONS.
PROFILE ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT and CREATION: If you did not attend GRIP last year, you will need to create an account before registering for a course. If you DID attend then you have a profile account. You can log in to change your contact information or view your invoice after registration. For NEW USER instructions see GRIP Instructions – new and account management.
Click on Icon below to register for a course. There is a separate icon for each week. Note: Once registered, only GRIP can make any changes to your course registration.
JUNE courses are held online via Zoom with NO Recordings.
JULY courses are offered in Pittsburgh, PA, on the La Roche University Campus (only).
When a course is full, you may record your interest in it by entering your information on the below Google form. You will be contacted in the order recorded on the form when an opportunity arises for that course. You will receive an email confirmation of your entry. As many attendees have experienced over the years, WAITLISTS WORK to get them the education they desire.
STEPS FOR REGISTRATION
1.) Please read this page fully and understand the cancellation and non-payment policies. It also gives you instructions on how to efficiently go through the registration process and the questions that will be asked during it. There is no need to hurry once you select your desired course and go to the following page, your seat will be held for an adequate amount of time while you answer the questions. No rush at all!
2.) All Registrants will be asked to have a username and password. When creating these, be sure to use a valid email address since the system will send you an email that you need to confirm. Please respond to the confirmation email to complete the process. We promise not to bug you or share your email address!
3.) Course and registration strategy. The Courses page shows links to the detailed 18-session week-long schedule for each of the 20 courses. Please observe any pre-requisites in your choices. In 2023, there are two different weeks, each week has its own registration link. If you want to sign up for more than one week, you have to re-enter certain information. Having answers in a separate document that you can copy and paste from is helpful. Prioritize which courses you would like to take and get on any wait lists when they are available. The waitlists tell GRIP which courses have a high interest and need creative solutions to address them.
4.) REGISTRATION HAS BEEN OPEN since 22 February 2023 for this year.
5.) After course registration, you will receive a confirmation email which has important information you will need to know about preparing for your week at GRIP. Congrats on a successful registration! Click here for ILLUSTRATED INSTRUCTIONS.
6.) For more details about the exact registration process, pricing, etc., please read the rest of this page.
NOTE: REGISTRATION for each week needs to be done separately through its own link. It can be extremely competitive for popular courses and instructors. Courses can be sold out within minutes of registration opening. If you do not see your course choice listed, then it has reached current capacity. Please click on the Wait List links on this page to register your request. We will accommodate as many as we can in the order received.
The registration system takes credit cards. Checks were allowed up until two weeks before the start of the institute week. Note that you will be able to enter a billing address if different than your mailing address for GRIP materials.
To see your registration invoice: Log In to your account using the username and password you first created.
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICY
Prompt payment is expected to be received within 30 days after registration. No payments at the door. Failure to pay for your course within 30 days of registration will result in cancellation of your classroom seat and an assessment of a $25 administrative fee per course owed to GRIP. Cancellation refund requests, subject to a $75 cancellation fee, must be received in writing (email is fine) no later than 30 days before the start of the institute week. No refunds if cancelled 29 days or less before the institute week. Any owed cancellation fees will be carried over to the following year. If you need to transfer to a different week, a $20 transfer fee will be assessed. There is no charge for transferring between courses within the same week.
NEWS: To stay at the forefront of GRIP news, sign up for email notification in the sidebar. You will be sent an email only when something new is posted on this website. You may opt-out of the email notifications at any time by entering your email and clicking “unsubscribe.” Facebook and LinkedIn are also good ways to learn what is new with GRIP. Please “Like” our Facebook page and join the Facebook group for some great conversation.
REGISTRATION PROCESS STEP BY STEP
READ the following prior to registration.
To begin the online process, if you haven’t already done so, be prepared to create an account with your contact information, username, and password. (See instructions above for Managing and Creating an Account.) The email you give is where confirmations and communications from GRIP will be sent and for no other purpose. Once an account is created you will be ready to register for a course.
- Go to the link provided by GRIP for the June or July week (different links) in which your desired course is offered. LOGIN with your username and password.
- Choose “YourSelf.” Although you can register “Someone Else” it is better if each person has their own account. CLICK “NEXT.”
- Select one course, and then CLICK “CONTINUE.” At this point your seat is reserved for an adequate time for you to finish registration. No need to rush through! If your course of interest is not listed, it has reached current capacity. Place yourself on the waitlist for either June or July by filling in the form at the link on this page.
- For July in-person registration, under Housing/Meals, you will also choose:
“Shared Room (2-3 per room)” (give name of roommate or request a match in question on next page)
“Add-on Commuter 5 lunches” (as a convenience to those not staying on campus)
“N/A No room or meals needed”
Note that shared rooms will need to either give the name of a roommate or if you want to be matched with another registrant, your gender.
- Fill in each question. NOTE that those with an asterisk (*) are REQUIRED. BEWARE of auto-filling answers – check them over to make sure they are correct!
Some of the following questions can be prepared in a document and copied and pasted into the answer boxes:
- Name for Certificate of Completion is your FULL name as you want it to appear on the certificate, including AG, CG, J.D., Ph.D., i.e. “Elissa Scalise Powell, CG”
- Email is where we will send course specific communications. It can be different than the email associated with your EZFacility account you created.
- Mailing Address where GRIP will mail syllabus and shirts for June registrants only, if purchased, at the end of May or in June. This can be different than your address in your EZFacility account.
- Let us know how your heard about GRIP most recently (please be specific) and whether this is your first institute. Options are:
“No – Attended GRIP previously”
“No – Attended another Institute”
“Yes – And I’m super excited!”
- Select of the choices for how familiar you are with Zoom: Choices are: “Proficient-have run meetings,” “Good-have attended Zoom meetings,” “Infrequent-haven’t attended many,” or “Not at all.”
- Enter a short description of your genealogical experience. (Note that the lower right corner can be pulled down for more space; you may copy and paste your prepared bio.)
- MAKE SURE you have read your course details at https://www.gripitt.org/courses/ for any pre-requisites and that you meet them. Answer this question with “N/A” or list how you meet the pre-requisite. Note that the lower right corner can be pulled down to enlarge the answer box.
- All students will receive access to syllabus materials in a course Dropbox. The syllabus is for personal use only and usually consists of 125 to 200 pages, depending on the course. You may print it at home or if you want to purchase syllabus pages printed by GRIP, please choose that option for $20 (Postpaid to U.S. mailing addresses only for June and including a 3-ring binder for July picked up on campus).
- You may also purchase one or two each of an Embroidered Polo Shirt ($35, postage paid in U.S. only, or $29 if picked up in July) or Printed T-shirt ($24, postage paid in U.S. only; $18 if picked up at LaRoche University in July), both with the GRIP logo. (See bottom of this page for photos, description and sizes.) Class photos are taken on “shirt day” Thursday. Select appropriate size in the drop-down menu. “Additional” shirt options do not require an answer but if two of the same shirt is desired, enter the second size choice in the “Additional” pulldown list.
- Indicate if you want to order a Zippered 10 oz. Canvas Tote Bag ($25 postage-paid for June, $20 for July in-person pick-up). Size: 14″ H x 18″ W x 4″ D
- “I give permission for my contact information to be included in a class roster.” Many people have requested that we make available classroom lists with name, city, state, and email, but we need your permission.
- “I AGREE with the Cancellation Policy.” Please read it!
13.) Click “CONTINUE” for the Review Registrations page. If everything looks okay, and you are ready to check out, CLICK “PROCEED” which takes you to the payment page (ignore the “swipe” box) where you can choose to “Pay Now” (with credit card). The confirmation page lists all your answers from above.
14.) You will also receive a confirmation email shortly after you see the confirmation page. Please check your spam filter for it if you do not see it. Allow email from “Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh <[email protected]>” in order to receive future communications. Keep the registration email as it has important information for preparing for your GRIP experience.
SHIRTS DETAILS and SIZE CHART
POLO SHIRTS are typically worn on Thursday during the week for class pictures. The 2023 color is Aqua Blue. This 6.7 ounce 60/40 cotton/polyester pique is comfortable, yet both stain and wrinkle resistant. Hemmed sleeves should not bind arms.
The women’s style features the feminine “Johnny” collar with a smooth V-neckline. Men’s shirts have traditional three button placket.
The men’s style classic sport shirt features include a rib-knit, no-curl collar and cuffs, reinforced side vents, taped neck and shoulders and three bone horn buttons. Wrinkle and stain resistant.
T-SHIRTS: This heavier Hanes® Authentic-T® unisex T-shirt is made from 6.1-oz, 100% cotton. Double-needled stitching at the collar, hem and sleeves provides durability and is bound to be a favorite! Note that the GRIP imprint will be on the upper left chest, the same position as the polo shirts (not center chest as shown). If you don’t buy the polo shirt for class photo day, you can wear this t-shirt.
SHIRT SIZES Chest measurements for men and bust measurements for women are given below in inches.
S 34-36″ 32-33″ (4-6)
M 38-40″ 34-35″ (8-10)
L 42-44″ 36-38″ (12-14)
XL 46-48″ 40-42″ (16-18)
2XL 50-52″ 44-46″ (20-22)
3XL 54-56″ 48-50″ (24-26)
4XL 58-60″ 52-54″ (28-30)